J. Andrew Lockwood
Senior Editor / Columnist
It’s hard to write about Tim Tebow especially if you’re not a Florida Gator fan. Something is wrong with you if you don’t think he’s at least a good human being. Faults are hard to find with the quarterback that runs more like a fullback. He spends his summers in the Philippines doing mission work and plays with physically handicapped kids before games. How could you not like the guy?
But in the world of sports, we like to polarize people. We like to categorize the felons, the good guys, and everyone in between. We watch ESPN to see how long Michael Vick’s sentencing would be and we paid close attention to the Plaxico Burress case. Maybe O.J. Simpson started it all or could it be the acquitted charges on Raven’s linebacker Ray Lewis? Until we separate the good from the bad as sports fans, we can’t seem to sleep at night.
That’s where Tim Tebow comes in. Everybody is mortal and makes mistakes, but Tebow’s play on the field every Saturday is next to near perfect. It was only when Tebow was taken to the hospital with a concussion during the Kentucky game two weeks ago that we began to think he might be human again.
Don’t let Lee Corso or Brent Musberger mislead you with their ‘Tim Tebow Man Love.’ There’s good reason to like the guy more off the field after you go gaga over his moves on the field. I keep telling myself ‘Stop being jealous…this guy can’t do everything right,’ but the truth is that he does pretty much everything right on and off the field.
And so goes the un-resting case of Tim Tebow. Sportswriters across America can’t stop writing about the hardnosed kid who motivates his team by just taking a breath of fresh air. He reminds me of Florida’s Danny Wuerffel a decade ago with his size and presence. He runs the ball better than most running backs and should be considered one of the greatest leaders to ever play the college game. In fact, Tebow will undoubtedly become the BEST college football player for decades to come.
Even though he continues to drum opponents each weekend (or at least win by a few scores), I keep telling myself that I’ll really like Tebow next season if he can only do this one thing this season. With three years of a track record, he’s accumulated two national championships and a Heisman. His doubters keep saying his game won’t work in the NFL. Maybe it won’t, who’s to say after the concussion, but Tebow seems to have a slick way of always making his haters eat their words.
I have nothing left Tim Tebow. You’ve convinced me. I’m no Gator fan and I won’t root against you. Maybe I’ll even buy my kid your jersey when you get to the pros, but please Tim, please, quit pestering my sports writing mind with your half-immortalism and with intense pep talks on the sidelines each Saturday. It’s driving me, Lee Corso, and Brent Musberger nuts.
Week 6 College Football Predictions
Thursday, October 8th
Nebraska 45, Missouri 35
Saturday, October 10th
Alabama 10, Ole Miss 14
Georgia 24, Tennessee 21
Oregon 25, UCLA 28
TCU 17, Air Force 21
Georgia Tech 35, Florida State 41
Michigan 28, Iowa 21
Tebow Special of the Week: Florida 44, LSU 38
4 comments:
I am going to put this out there Tuna: I hate Tim Tebow. I hate hearing about Tim Tebow, I hate looking at Tim Tebow. I cant stand watching Florida games, or even SEC games anymore due to the fact that you hear about Tebow whether he is playing or not.
First of all, lets face it... Tebow is a product of Urban Meyer's system, ala Alex Smith. Alex Smith put up monster numbers at Utah, where is he now? Expect the same from Mr. Tebow.
Second of all, Tebow isn't even the best quarterback to come out of the state of Florida.... Yup, thats right, i said it.
http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/12103034
I don't know about that. Charlie Ward was a great talent (obviously with his cross-over appeal to the NBA), but look at it from a statistical perspective...Tebow is the better player.
Although they played in two different systems, Tebow is probably the more important player to his team. Florida lives and dies by him.
Honestly, I'm tired of hearing/writing about Tebow. Everyone talks about him. My point in the column was that Tebow is a hard guy to categorize. As a guy, you can't help but like him...but everyone gets tired of a winner after a while.
System plays a HUGE part of statistical analysis. Fact is, you cant compare these two on stats alone. Tebow's system spreads the whole field and allows quaterbacks to have multiple options on every play with 4 or more wideouts running routes. When Ward played, these systems were not around.
Wards numbers at the time were astonishing, but now adays they look pedestrian due to the explosion of offensive systems. The fact is, you put Ward in todays offenses and he would more than flourish.
I know this is as pointless as comparing the numbers of Dimaggio, Aaron, Ruth with Griffey, Bonds, and such-but would Tebow be as good in FSU's system in the '90's? Maybe, but doubtful.. BUT would Ward put up numbers in Urbans spread offense? You can bet your bottom dollar he would
I can agree with that, especially with Chris Leak had the same build/athleticism as Ward. However, Tebow seems to possess leadership qualities that few QBs have. All very valid points though.
Post a Comment